Monday, October 3, 2016

Vocab #5

1. venomous- of a person or their behavior full of malice or spite
     1. The girl had a venomous personality as she was always out to bully someone.
2. stolid-of a person calm, dependable, and showing little emotion or animation
     2. I consider a stolid person a sociopath because in my opinion, it's very weird
3. hypnotized-produce a state or hypnosis in someone
     3. People are hypnotized so they can be controlled.
4. suspended-temporarily prevent from continuing or being in force or effect
     4. A student can get suspended for things such as fighting bringing a concealed weapon to school.
5. transformed-make a thorough or dramatic change in the form, appearance, or character of
     5. A caterpillar is transformed into a butterfly after being releases from its cocoon.
6. accuse-charge someone with offense or crime
     6. My sisters like to accuse me of everything so I am the one who gets in trouble.
7. anticipate-regard as probable; expect or predict
     7. I had to anticipate that my sister would be moving out of the house and going to college
8. fringe-an ornamental border of threads left loose or formed into tassels or twists, used to edge clothing or material
     8. There was a fringe on my blanket that fell apart after my dog chewed on it.
9. melancholy-a feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause
     9 Sometimes a just feel really melancholy so I will have a Nicholas Sparks movie marathon.
10. earnestly-showing sincere and intense conviction
     10. People in movies usually hold on to an object earnestly when they are under pressure.
11. dissolve- with reference to a solid become or cause to become incorporated into a liquid as to form a solution
     11. Powder dissolves in water because it is soluble.
12. aggravate-make a problem, injury or offense worse or more serious
     12. My sister aggravates me a lot after I get hurt because she thinks it is funny.
13. illuminate-light up
     13. The lava lamp illuminates the room when it is turned on at night.
14. capillary-any of the fine branching blood vessels that form a network between the arterioles and venules
     14. The capillary broke after the man was cut across the arm.
15. proboscis-the nose of a mammal
     15. My friend has a proboscis.

No comments:

Post a Comment