Monday, September 19, 2016

Vocab #4

1. adroit- clever or skillful in using the hands or mind
    1. I like to point out the adroit people in a movie when they figure out impossible problems.
2. amicable- having a spirit of friendliness; without serious disagreement
    2. I consider myself an amicable person because I get along with many people.
3. averse- having a strong dislike or opposition to something
    3. I feel averse towards a person when they are rude or disrespectful.
4. belligerent- hostile or aggressive
    4. I become belligerent when someone disrespects me because it is something I do not tolerate.
5. benevolent- well meaning and kindly
    5. You often find benevolent people in a daily society, but you will also get the mean selfish people.
6. cursory- hasty and therefore not thorough or detailed
    6.  My history teacher often says my work is cursory and I could do better when stating my information.
7. duplicity- deceitfulness; double-dealing
    7. A form of duplicity is when my sister tricks me into getting the remote. n
8. extol- praise enthusiastically
    8. I extol hamburgers because they are absolutely delicious.
9. feasible- possible to do easily or conveniently
    9. Something feasible is doing chores because I do them all of the time every weekend.
10. grimace- an ugly, twisted expression on a person's face, typically expressing disgust, pain, or wry amusement
    10. I usually create a grimace when I eat asparagus of when I am in extreme pain.
11. holocaust- destruction or slaughter on a mass scale, especially caused by fire or nuclear war
    11. A time we learned about the Holocaust was in 7th grade and it was a very hard topic to go over as we dug deeper into how Hitler succeeded in the mass murders.
12. impervious- not allowing fluid to pass through
    12. A rubber stopper is an example of an impervious object.
13. impetus- the force or energy with which a body moves
    13. An impetus movement is the direction your bones move when you walk or do some particular action.
14. jeopardy- danger of loss, harm, or failure
     14. A time of jeopardy was in Jurassic Park when they were stuck on an island trying to get away from the dinosaurs.
15. meticulous- showing great attention to detail; very careful and precise
     15.  I consider my sister meticulous because she seems to notice everything even when I try to be discreet about it.
16. nostalgia- a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations
     16. I et nostalgia around Thanksgiving when most of my family isn't there because it is much more fun when they are.
17. quintessence- the most perfect or typical example of a quality or class
     17. I consider clothing such as Chanel or Dolce and Gabbana  a quintessence.
18. retrogress- go back to an earlier state, typically a worse one
     18. People that get meningitis tend to retrogress.
19. scrutinize- examine or inspect closely and thoroughly
     19. I scrutinize when I am trying to figure out what something is.
20. tepid- only slightly warm
      20. The seat is tepid after turning on the seat heater when I get to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment